Monday, January 06, 2014

Madiba Spirit


It’s been 1 month since his long walk of freedom came to an ‘end. ‘
No more pain, no more worries and no more branches of tree to pull as ‘Rolihlahla.’

From Rolihlahla to Dalibunga, From Nelson to ‘46664’ to Madiba and finally ‘Tata' not only to South Africa but to the entire human race.

"I'm not a saint unless you think of a saint as a sinner who keeps on trying,” once he said. This sums up well, that no one is perfect, even such a great soul such as Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela have flaws. 

Past mistakes should not be a ransom in not being who you want to be or what you want to achieve. Of course the end does not always justifies the means, but if done in good thought and clear conscience, as what we know now, even ‘Apartheid’ can be defeated.

This is how he chose to see himself, a ‘liberator’ a fighter till the end, even if it will cause him his life, in his believe for equality. A ‘sinner’ no less, like everyone of us, a normal human being, achieving extraordinary things.

You have done mistakes in life, so what?
As the great man once said, The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”

Not many leaders can claim to have lived the Mandela way. Power corrupts people, and revenge often becomes a way to settle past scores and miseries brought upon to them by others. As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison”, this is my greatest lesson from Madiba. Revenge heals no one and resolves nothing.

This is not the end, I am continuing his walk in my own way, like many of you. Everyday the spirit of Madiba can live on within us, Forgiveness, Compassion, Reconciliation, Acceptance but most importantly being honest to ourselves. This is the ‘Madiba Spirit.’

1918 - 2013

No comments: